2018-09-11 through Present
Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Sustainable Scaling of Image Rendering Pipeline. San Francisco, CA
- Operational support of a multi-layer Content Delivery Network.
- Development of Ansible based infrastructure orchestration on top of Intel and Apple hardware.
2015-10-12 through 2018-01-31
Senior DevOps Engineer
Operational support of Cloud Products. San Francisco, CA
- Building internal communities around tooling for management of operational secrets.
- Developing a continuous deployment strategy taking into account a non-homogeneous set of applications and targets.
- Evangelisation of inner and open source approaches to challenges at scale.
- Involved with adoption of ITIL based Change Management and SOC2 compliance automation.
2015-05-01 through 2015-09-30
Release Pipeline and Production Operations. Berkeley, CA
- Developed build and release pipeline using Ansible for NodeJS components on AWS infrastructure.
- Implemented AWS Autoscaling with Ansible, Packer, and CloudFormation.
- Instrumented production systems using NewRelic, and CloudWatch.
2013-07-15 through 2015-03-23
Continuous Integration in an Idempotent Chef world. San Francisco, CA
- Work with the Operations team to ensure continuous delivery of products with a high degree of availability.
- Maintain automation solutions (Chef/Jenkins) to support our JVM and Python stack on the AWS/EC2 cloud platform.
- Develop internal tools in Python and Ruby to support the product build and deployment pipelines.
2010/11/04 through 2013/08/30
Senior Software Engineer
High capacity social media data ingestion. San Francisco, CA
- Support of SAAS product by developing a real time data ingestion system tied into major social media networks.
- Emphasized continuous delivery of live Erlang based system, pushing frequent releases a day without down time.
- Migrated SAAS product from the AWS public cloud into a private VMWare based system.
- Helped support additional aspects of the SAAS product including but not limited to NodeJS, Ruby, and PostgreSQL.
2009/05/01 through 2010/08/29
Lead Server Developer
Highly available backend web services for online games. Montreal, QC
- Worked in Montréal office providing continuously deployed backend systems for two game offerings.
- Introduced networked software services written in C and Python in order to potentially support a variety of applications.
- These services were deployed on our private VMWare system and the public AWS cloud.
- Responsible for implementing a variety of payment systems based on leading providers.
Wello Horld, Inc
2008/03/01 through 2009/03/28
Lead Backend Developer
Custom routing in XMPP systems. Brooklyn, NY
- Worked remotely and at Brooklyn / San Francisco offices to implement and support a robust backend.
- System was developed in Erlang and made heavy use of Standardized XMPP with custom event filtering software.
2006/03/01 through 2007/11/01
Lead Technical Instructor
Corporate technical education. Halifax, NS
- Programming courses included Perl, Python, Java.
- Methodology courses included ITIL and Extreme Programming.
- Other courses included UNIX administration and network/computer security.
2005/01/01 through 2007/12/01
Operations and Development. Halifax, NS
- Worked with academic researchers on automatically scaling grid-based computing resources.
- Day to day operations of company ranging from business development to financial obligations.
- Open Source work in the Virtual World space to support immersive learning environments.
2003/04/01 through 2004/12/01
Penetration testing and corporate education. Halifax, NS
- Involved in remote and on-site vulnerability and penetration testing.
- Worked on a custom RedHat derived operating system targeting early ARM based systems.
- Joint creation of security curriculum delivered to corporate and Canadian federal Law Enforcement clients.
2001/11/01 through 2003/03/01
Network and Systems Administration. Halifax, NS
- Deployed and maintained VPN across multiple geographic regions.
- Monitored and supported production and development systems.
- Assisted in software lifecycle for learning content management system product.